50 grams butter + dash of olive oil
1 medium onion, diced small (250 grams)
3 cloves garlic, finely grated (40 grams)
1 leek, finely chopped (100 grams)
1 small celery stalk, finely diced (50 grams)
1 heaped tablespoon thyme leaves, chopped
4 medium potatoes, diced small (400 grams)
1 litre homemade vegetable stock or 2 Kallo veg stock cubes in 1 litre boiling water
20 dried mushrooms (mix of any: porcini, oyster, Shiitake, chestnut), soaked in 400ml boiling water for at least 30 minutes
500 grams fresh chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced
200 grams fresh Portobello mushrooms, finely sliced
100 grams fresh girolles/chanterelle mushrooms, finely sliced (save a few for garnish)
300 ml reserved mushroom liquid from soaking
20 grams fresh parsley, chopped fine
Lemon Crème Fraîche & Udo’s Choice Oil
200 ml crème fraîche
Juice of ½ small lemon
Udo’s Oil to drizzle
- Place dried mushrooms in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Drain and finely chop mushrooms, then set aside along with reserved soaking liquid. Fold lemon juice into crème fraîche, set aside in fridge until ready to use.
- Melt ⅓ of butter and all of olive oil in saucepan at a low heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, then onion, celery leek and thyme and gently cook for 5-10 minutes. Add diced potato and dried mushrooms and cook until soft (10 minutes).
- Whilst onion mixture is cooking, prepare and cook mushrooms: In a separate pan melt ⅓ of remaining butter, add sliced mushrooms in batches and quickly fry off on a medium heat until lightly coloured. Season as you go along. Transfer mushroom plus any liquid from them to a bowl.
- Add cooked mushroom to onion mixture along with hot vegetable stock and reserved mushroom liquid; bring to a gentle simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes then remove from heat. Pour half the soup into a blender (or use blender stick), whiz into a purée then pour it back into the pan and return to a simmer. Add chopped parsley and season to taste.
- Serve soup in warmed bowls, top with crème fraîche and drizzle with Udo’s Oiljust before serving.